So you’ve bought an epic sign, you’re excited to piece it together and proudly put it up on display, but you need your branding to be printed on the display board. Here’s the rundown of how to apply a vinyl decal to your sign or, how to find a local sign writer.
Applying Vinyl Yourself:
Unless you’re an absolute pro at sign writing (and if so, this blog probably doesn’t apply to you), you might want to start by watching a few tutorial videos. Vinyl application can be relatively straight-forward, but if you're wanting to apply with any other materials, we always suggest getting a professional sign writer to do this for you. A basic step-by-step process has six key steps:
- The first step is to prepare, make sure you have the correct equipment and supplies before you start. An important aspect of the prep process is getting your vinyl decal organised.
- Get the surface ready. It is important that the sign is clean, dry, smooth, and dust free.
- Remove the backing transfer tape, most vinyl will have a backing tape that needs to be removed. This will leave your decal on the other side of the transfer tape (sticky side is ready to be put on your sign).
- Place the decal. Using a ruler is recommended to measure and mark; ensure the decal is in the perfect position on your sign. Once you are happy with the position, apply and decal by carefully placing the sticker at one mark and slowly lowering the sticker on. TIP: The slower you go, the more precise you can be. This will reduce imperfections, wrinkles, and air bubbles.
- Firmly rub vinyl to sign surface to ensure it is stuck on correctly, this can help remove any small air bubbles that could have appeared.
- Remove transfer tape to reveal your decal applied to the sign!
How to find a Sign Writer:
If we’ve learnt one thing over the past year, it’s to support local businesses. An easy Google search or question to your local Facebook page will push you in the right direction of someone capable of branding your sign.
Once you have found a sign writer, it’s time to provide them with the necessary information. Some key points sign writers will want to know are the material of the sign, size, and colour of branding.
If you’re unsure about the size or materials, you can head to the specific product you purchased on the website and look for FAQs to find necessary information, or you can contact our friendly customer service team here.
Finding a sign writer can take all the stress out of application, leaving the experts to provide you with your desired decal on a great sign!